When non-art related people look at abstract paintings for the first time, all they usually see is chaotic splashes of color. And nobody can blame them for being wrong. Do you know what the coolest thing about abstract painting is? It’s a non-objective art and thus can be anything you want it to be. Whether you need some great techniques to sharpen your skills as an abstract artist, or you’re just getting started in the world of abstract art, here is a collection of five most interesting painting techniques you will be able to recreate on your own.
- Play with texture. The amount of oil paint on your brush does matter! Challenge yourself with creating various textures with your paint and take a note of what color looks better with what amount of paint. This is an exciting journey of discovery you will not want to end!
- Blend colors. Using the same colors from your palette all over again can become really boring. Blending is an easy and fun way to discover new shades that will be exclusively yours! Two colors merged together on a canvas create an effect that is definitely worth experiencing. Brushing and rebrushing the color on a canvas is also a useful technique that can get you to your goal.
- Get a pencil. It is so much easier to erase the unfortunate strokes by using an all-time eraser! Get hold of a pencil and try to outline contours of what you wish to create on a canvas. If your ideas are running wild, a pencil is a great and cheap way to find the right lines for your future masterpiece.
- Get inspired. Some people find inspiration in mysterious landscapes; others get thrilled by city nightlife or flower gardens. Think of something that you can endlessly look at, something that you really want to portray on a canvas. Then try to imagine this object in dynamic motion. This technique will help you to find the right angles when applying the coats of paint.
- Study color chart rules. It sounds obvious, but some colors better complement each other than others. Try to obtain at least the basic knowledge of the color chart rules. It will improve your color matching skills, which is really important when it comes to abstract oil painting.
Hopefully, these techniques will help you to immerse yourself in the world of creative joy! By the way, why don’t you get some inspiration from the works of renowned artists? Take a peep at http://afremov.com/ and be inspired by amazing palette knife paintings made by Jewish impressionist Leonid Afremov! His amazing works all have a romantic touch to them and some of them are a great example of fine abstract painting. Take one his wonderful canvases home to brighten up your everyday life!